Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ode to book club...

I am not quite sure how I have been so lucky throughout my life, but I have always been blessed to have amazing friends around me. This is especially true of the women I spent time with last night at our monthly book club meeting. Ken always loves it because I come home so happy and full of life.

Last night we met at Micaela's beautiful home to discuss the amazing book Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. It is a fantastic book about a group of very different women in Iran meeting to discuss literature. In the fiction they read, they discovered truths that had great personal and political application. It was a fascinating book to read and discuss, especially with my wonderful friends!

I think the question Ken always asks me when I come home is if we really discuss the book. I can almost always say yes. :) Last night I was especially impressed with these intelligent women that I get to associate with. I love how many different ideas and experiences we were are able to share with each other. I tell these women some of my most deepest, darkest thoughts and feelings and they continue to love me despite my twisted side. I love how they make me think of things in a new way and push me to look at things from a different perspective. I need that. I need to remember sometimes that I am not just a mom, but I am a smart woman with valuable ideas and can contribute to an intelligent conversation. I love that my book club friends bring that out in me and I am truly grateful.

6 comments:

Kirsten said...

Greeeeaaaatttt...the one book club I miss is the one that gives you an epiphany about how great your friends are...geez, Car...

Marie said...

Amen sister!

The Cox Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Cox Family said...

Yes, we girls do know how to have fun!!!

ThatsKarlWithaK said...

We really are a fun book club, aren't we? I'm so glad you're in it.--Jen

mcojaadams said...

As I was thinking about Reading Lolita and the way each woman in the bookclub is described I wondered how I would be described by my bookclub friends.
Many years ago I remember crying myself to sleep praying that I could find a group of women (like a bookclub) to do things with.
I Thank God I found all of you!