Monday, November 10, 2008

You'll never guess...

but I LOVE Christmas music!

There. I said it. I'm sure this doesn't come as much of a surprise. This time of year I am almost giddy with anticipation of when I can "legally" start listening to Christmas music.

One of the perks of being a choir director was choosing music for the Christmas concert. It gave me the excuse of starting to listen in early October. It really helped me get in the mood and select some wonderful music. It has been some 5 years now that I have not taught at a school and I have missed the excuse to listen to Christmas music early.

This year, however, I have the privilege again of conducting our stake choir for the Interfaith Christmas Choir Concert. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to again work with talented and inspiring people. I have been listening to beautiful arrangements as I worked to select what we will sing. It is a bit of a balancing act. I want to choose something traditional, but not overdone and boring, lush, but not too "jazzy" or 20th century, memorable, but not too flashy. Most of all, I want the music I select to praise the Savior and His miraculous birth. It is my prayer that when our audience hears us perform that they will feel the Holy Ghost testifying that Jesus Christ is the Redeemer and Savior of the world.

I hope the choir will like what I have chosen to sing this year. We will open with a rousing arrangement of Joy to the World. It has very cool organ accompaniment that Liz will be fantastic on. Next, we will calm it down a bit and bring a different feeling in with a haunting arrangement of In the Bleak Midwinter. Our closer -- hold on to your hats -- is Wilberg's arrangement of Angels We Have Heard on High. I am so excited and hope that we have the turnout that we did last year. I know singing beautiful Christmas enhances my worship. I hope others will feel that way too.

I want to share a verse from In The Bleak Midwinter that really touches my heart. This is what I kept thinking of as I was choosing the music...

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb.
If I were a wise man, I would do my part.
What can I give Him? Give my heart.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love Bleak Midwinter...can't wait to hear it! --Jen

Tirsa said...

Oh, I really hope to be able to attend this year. Last year the little tike was brand new and so we didn't make it. I look forward to seeing all of your hard work put into beautiful action.

Brandie Lyon said...

When does practice start? I want to sing in it this year.