Monday, July 20, 2009

Oklahoma...where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.

In June I took the kiddos down to Texas and Oklahoma to spend a few days with my family. We added a new stop this year -- this spring my sister and her family moved to Borger, TX. Where you ask?!? It is in the panhandle of TX about 45 minutes NE of Amarillo. We took this opportunity to stay a couple of nights with them, see their beautiful new home, and let the cousins play their hearts out.

From Borger it is just a short 3 and a half hour drive to my parents home in Oklahoma. Somehow it had been over a year since I had been there and it was wonderful to visit with them and see their beautifully remodeled kitchen in person. We kept the visit pretty low key. Morgan loves getting golf lessons from Grandpa. Too bad it was so steaming hot when he took them to the driving range, they were pooped after about 20 minutes. We did some errands and of course ate lunch at Braum's.


Codi's family came in to help celebrate Father's Day (after their van breaking down -- ugh!). It was so nice being together, even if it was a little crazy. It made us really miss Clint and Cyle. With the cousins, we checked out some of the new parks on Ft. Sill. There was this awesome water park that the kids totally loved -- so cool! It was especially nice to go to church together. It seemed like a rather short weekend when Codi's family had to leave (via OKC to get a rental car for the way home.)




On Monday, I finally got the opportunity to hang out with my amazing friend Veronica and meet her 3 adopted kiddos. We enjoyed a picnic at Medicine Park and of course, all the kiddos headed straight for the river getting themselves soaked. We decided to try somewhere a little drier and headed to her house so the kids could play while she and I got caught up. She is one of those truly gifted people and I always feel inspired being around her. So great to be with her, even if it was only for a few hours.

Tuesday, I have to say, was the best. My parents' very nice neighbors let us come over and swim in their pool during the day. It was absolute heaven! We were in the pool about 4 or 5 hours. Trevor and Morgan are total fishes and Peyton, after about 15 minutes of holding onto me, figured out how to balance and kick all over the pool with the help of her life jacket and a pool noodle. This allowed me to relax on a raft and watch and splash the kids. My mom even got in on the relaxing action with us. Absolutely fantastic day.

4 comments:

keri said...

Sounds exhausting but fun!

Unknown said...

What a great little trip! That park does look like alot of fun with all the water stuff to play with! Great picture of all the kids together. Such a classic summer picture!

xoxo --c. said...

mmmm -- wonderful reminder of a great brite spot in our summer. you did omit YOUR car-breakdown-moment...and the resulting glam new one! I too, still savor that Tuesday-in-the-pool. See you in 2 -- yes, 2! weeks for Baby Max's arrival. oxoxoxo

KristiKay said...

Looks like you had SO much fun! I love to visit with family...the craziness is even worth it! I couldn't believe that cool picutre of all the kids at the pool!!! Can you believe we're all grown up with kids this age?? When did that happen?!