Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Power of music...

Just quick thought about the gift and power of music. I am so grateful to have music in my life. I love how I am able to express and share myself in that way. Yesterday seemed to come full circle. I, with Triple Trio, was able to perform at three different nursing homes. It was beautiful to see how the songs we sang touched our audience. Even in the sunset of these people's lives, they were moved (many of them to tears) when we sang. I love sharing beautiful words and music with them, especially the songs that they know the words to and you can almost see it taking them to another time and place.

It was such a beautiful contrast to the young children singing yesterday. My group vocal classes had their recital last night. It was an absolute joy to see the looks on their faces as they performed. They loved sharing the talents that they have been developing. You could see that they loved having another way to express themselves. They were so proud of themselves and I was proud of them too. Even though they are still in the sunrise phase of their lives, they still could connect with and have fun with the music they were performing. I sincerely hope that music will always be a part of their lives.

How Can I Keep from Singing is one of my favorite songs. It seems to say all those things that I feel when I sing that I could never articulate very well on my own...

My life flows on in endless song;
Above earth’s lamentation
I hear the sweet though far off hymn
That hails a new creation:
Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear the music ringing;
It finds an echo in my soul—
How can I keep from singing?

What if my joys and comforts die?
I know that Truth is living;
What if the darkness round me close!
Still truth its light is giving:
No storm can shake my inmost calm
While to that rock I'm clinging;
Since love is Lord of Heav’n and earth,
How can I keep from singing?

I lift mine eyes; the cloud grows dim;
I see the blue above it;
And day by day this pathway smoothes
Since first I learned to love it:
The peace from love makes fresh my heart,
A song of hope is springing:
All things are mine since truth I've found—
How can I keep from singing?

(This is from the arrangement we sing and the words are slightly
changed from the original hymn.)

No comments: