Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Another lesson...

Went to my second voice lesson with Mary Ann today. I really feel comfortable with her and feel I can learn a lot from her. Had an "a-ha" moment today. She was telling me about one of her experiences with Seth and while she was talking I was thinking, "oh boy, that is totally me." The gist was that when someone is intuitive about something it is easy to skip to the answer without doing all the the steps in between to actually get there. Guilty as charged.

One of my (many) problems is that the exercises feel great and fairly easy. Then I get to the song and blow it. I have always felt like my big voice has been a blessing and a curse. I am having a difficult time staying light enough in my chest and mix while in a "musical theater sound." I either make it too big or end up singing light classical.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this conundrum: on recordings it sounds like the performers have so much power in that mix area. I associate power with big. So how do they get they power, but keep it easy and light? To get that sound it seems like it should be a lot more work. So far I don't get it -- at least not consistently.

I have a lot more singing and listening to do.

No comments: