Friday, September 21, 2007

The Rhapsody...

What could be better than a weekday date with my hottie of a husband? Not much, I dare say. Last night we attended the opening night of the Colorado Symphony Orchestra at Boettcher Concert Hall. One of my favorite pieces of all time, Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini was played by Van Cliburn winner Olga Kern (we saw her in a solo recital last spring and were completely impressed) and conducted by Jeffrey Kahane. It was an incredible performance!

This was my first time hearing the Rhapsody live and I was overwhelmed. The themes in the piece are so lush. There is a depth and range of emotions throughout that totally touches my soul. There is so much beauty in that piece it was hard to breathe. And what can I say about the 18th variation? There was such grace and sensitivity as Ms. Kern played it. I love Rachmaninoff's music!

Boettcher Hall is really fun to go to because it is set up in the round. We sat in my favorite seats at the back of the orchestra. I LOVE watching the conductor. I had never seen Jeffrey Kahane conduct before and he was amazing! Every movement was so clear and easy to follow. I think he is my new favorite conductor (Sorry Keith!). It was so interesting, during the Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony he even put down his baton for the 2nd and 3rd movements. I have never seen an orchestra conductor do that before! (I do think it was completely warranted by the music. I would had a difficult conducting that piece with a baton.) He was awesome!

No comments: