Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grandma's house


On our long drive from Monterey, CA to our friend's house in Utah we knew we had to stop and visit my grandmother, Donna Christiansen. She is an amazing woman who has been through so much in her life and handled it all with an overwhelming faith in the Lord. We always joke that she has the red, direct line phone to Heavenly Father. It has been difficult for me (and many in our family) to watch this vibrant woman getting older and afflicted with so much pain. I am also a little sad that my children (and even some of my younger cousins) do not know the Grandma I grew up with. Makes me grateful for the Resurrection and that someday, they will.

I knew we needed to stop and spend some time with her despite our long journey. She was so excited that we were coming, even though it was a rough day for her. She ordered pizza for us and even had the fixings for banana splits. The kids were in heaven! For me, it was an opportunity to reminisce. Almost everything in her home has some memory connection for me. It was cool to take a photo of Cooper playing on the same rocking horse that I did as a child.



Just before we left I really felt like I wanted to sing for her -- she has always been so supportive of me as I try to develop that talent. Luckily, I travel with an amazing accompanist. I chose to sing "For Good" from Wicked. Can I just say, sometimes it is really hard to sing when you are thinking about the words you are singing. As I sang, "because I knew you, I have been changed for good," it was really difficult not to brake into the ugly crying.

I love my dear grandmother so much and it was a treat to spend some time with her!

No comments: