Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Colorado Caucus...

I am just coming down off of the adrenaline rush. We had our caucus at Legacy Elementary we got there about 6:45 and the gym was totally packed! It seemed pretty obvious that they were not expecting that kind of turnout. In fact, they had to open up other areas so we could spread out. We had 59 people come out for our precinct, compared to 5 in 2000. The party officials were really enthusiastic about so many people coming to caucus and many for the first time.

So we called our precinct to order and the first order of business was to elect a caucus/precinct chairperson. Someone yelled out my name, there was a quick vote, and the next thing I knew I was standing on a chair running the meeting. We also elected Brenda to be our secretary and she did an awesome job. We took our straw poll and the results were (drumroll please) ...... Romney 49, Huckabee 4, Paul 3, and McCain 3.

We then had to elect 5 delegates and 5 alternates -- now this is what I wanted to have people vote for me for. All of our delegates and alternates are Romney's supporters and we continue on to the county assembly on February 16. I am looking forward to that. It is so cool getting involved with the grassroots effort!

We carried out the business of the rest of the meeting and called it a night. Brenda and I stayed and continued to fill out the paperwork. I turned in all the papers and met with our district leader, John. I am really excited that I will have a role, very small of course, in the republican party in our county and state. I have to say that I really like this politics thing and I love being involved in our community. I am grateful this opportunity.

As a side note, there was a photographer at our caucus. Because we were one of the biggest precincts and we got to business quickly, I presume, he took a lot of pictures of our group and several of me up on that chair. He asked my name a little later. After we were done with all the proceedings I asked him what paper he was a reporter for. I assumed it was the Daily times Call, our local paper. I was surprised to learn that he worked for the AP and we had a great discussion. So keep your eye out for stories and pictures out of Colorado, you just may see yours truly. :)

1 comment:

alison said...

wow! sounds like that was some night!