Friday, February 29, 2008

The Piano Man...


Last night was so much stinkin' fun! We got to go see Billy Joel in concert. It was incredible! Ken and I have been wanting to see him live for years. Poor Ken though, he was/is sicker than a dog, (seriously, this never happens -- he is very rarely sick) but he didn't seem to care if he was on his deathbed, he was going to the concert (to the chagrin of my "back-up date.") Even though he is now back in bed for another day, it was totally worth it. Billy Joel is an incredible performer!

It all started back in December when I heard he was coming to town. I was thinking I would be so clever and surprise Ken for Christmas. We had already decided not to do Christmas presents to each other because we had gone to NYC, so he really would not be expecting anything. I was able to keep my mouth shut about it until the day before tickets went on sale -- quite the accomplishment for me because I was so excited at my own cleverness. :) So imagine my disappointment when Ken called up that day and asked if we had any plans for the evening of February 28. "Nooooo," I said cautiously. When he told me he wanted to go to the concert, I threw my little fit and told him all about thwarting my plans! Bummer!

In any case, we got tickets with Holly and Brian. Nosebleed seats, but we didn't care. Then my friend Liz and her husband, Dave decided to go to the concert as well so we had an awesome triple date. So fun!!!


We had dinner downtown at a great restaurant, Dixon's. Delicious food. But even better than the food was the great company! We had such a spectacular time talking with each other. Then we walked to Pepsi Center for the concert. It was an beautiful Colorado night and it was great walking through downtown. Ken and I really have never spent much time in Denver except at the performing arts complex. What a great town!

The concert was packed. Billy played for about two hours. The only problem with having a recording career for over 30 years is that there is no way he could ever fit in all our favorites. He did perform a ton of songs though; River of Dreams, We Didn't Start the Fire, Always a Woman, Scenes from an Italian Restaurant, My Life, Root Beer Rag, Still Rock and Roll to Me, and many others. Yes, I was up dancing and singing. And of course, his final encore was Piano Man. A great show!!!!




6 comments:

Jen Bailey said...

I'm extremely jealous!!! I love Billy Joel. Seriously. So glad you had a great time. I want to hear more about it.
- Jen Bailey

Brandie Lyon said...

So fun! I bet Gabe really wished she had gone with you, Ha.

Erica said...

Billy Joel is so very talented. I have always love Piano Man. What a neat concert to go to!

Ashley said...

Go Billy! Group dates are a blast- lots of laughing! Glad you guys finally got to see him!

Jolayne said...

My sister-in-law is a die-hard Billy Joel fan. Even flew all the way to New York to see him and the concert got cancelled! She was a tad bit bummed.

mcojaadams said...

Love the top - you look really good in it! :-)