Sunday, February 17, 2008

Political ambition?

Yesterday I was able to attend our district assembly as a delegate from precinct #239. It was an interesting meeting where we got to hear from several people that were running for county positions and elect delegates to attend the state GOP convention. I was excited to get elected. I am looking forward to going to the state convention in May. I love learning more about the political process here in Colorado. I am meeting some wonderful and dedicated people. It is also great getting to know more people from our community. Maybe when Governor Romney runs again, I will try to be a national delegate. :)

At the meeting I had a very interesting conversation. I was approached by Jason that I had met at caucus a couple of weeks ago. He told me that he was running for mayor of Firestone in the April elections and would like me to run for a position on the board of trustees. I admit I am completely intrigued. I am concerned because I have not really been involved with local politics before, but as we talked more, I realized I have a rather common sense opinions and Jason agreed totally with my conservative leanings. I finally said, but I'm just a mom. He reassured me that a mom with a vested interest in building the community would be very valuable and my experience teaching in both public and charter schools would be helpful. I have thought for some time that I would love to get more involved in local politics and this opportunity is very exciting. I am praying for guidance. There is so much going on in our family, my teaching, rehearsing, and performing schedule, Ken possibly taking a new job where he would be gone a lot more, our church service (especially Ken's bishopric stuff), trying expand our family, and of course taking care of the kids and our home. As much as I would like to do this, it might not be the right season for our family. In any case, I have until tomorrow to make up my mind.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Wow- that would be very interesting and i'm sure a wonderful experience- but it is hard choosing between what's good, better, and best...

alison said...

I agree--its hard to choose which opportunities to invest ourselves in. That's definitely a matter of prayer. But who is the Jason that is running for Mayor--i haven't heard anything about him as of yet.